How to Co-Create a Career You Don’t Desire to Escape
The best way to co-create a career that you don’t desire to escape from is making sure the elements of the career are aligned closely to your values, strengths and areas you want to grow.
There are some key components when it comes to curating a career that is inescapable.
1 – Get clear on what your top values are that make you happy.
There are many different values assessments that can outline and assess your top values.
2 – Get clear on your top strengths or competencies that are most important for you to exercise and grow in the role you are in or looking to work in.
3 – Be clear on the work environment and culture that you thrive in.
Our environment is key for our success and an important aspect of our happiness at work.
Prioritize your criteria around you key working environment that supports you in thriving.
Once you have these areas clear, then prioritize them.
How important are they in the next role you choose?
Create a criteria sheet you can measure opportunities against to see how they stack up to what you desire to create in your role and career.
Find a mentor: Who in your field or function inspires you? Start cultivating your network to seek out the right mentor for you. Attend functions where you have an opportunity to meet a potential mentor.
Be prepared to lead the agenda for a mentoring relationship.
1. Set a date to discuss your career with your mentor.
• Bring two or three ideas you have for what you might want to do in the future and ask for feedback.
• Be sure to have your elevator pitch prepared and discuss how you have brought value to your work.
• Learn what has been the key ingredients in your mentor’s success.
• Ask for suggestions and perspective on how you can get the experience you need to move forward in your career.
• Discuss which skills you need to hone or what you need to learn about.
• Ask your mentor for his/her input on your career trajectory 5 years into the future.
2. Create a plan of action for career development based on the information you receive.
Share this with your mentor so he/she can support you in being accountable to your plan.
3. As you follow through on your mentor’s suggestions, let your mentor know how you are doing. Keep cultivating communication with your mentor.
4. Meet with your mentor periodically to refine your plan and identify new actions that can help you move forward in your career.
The key to co-creating your career is being strategic and proactive not only with a plan but also with the people you engage. Assess your key criteria. Work with a mentor, refine your own messaging related to your brand and how you communicate your value. Seek advice, support, feedback and resources for growing your career in the area you desire.
Career Mobility is in your hands, and you have the ability to create whatever you desire. When there is a plan in place, support that can guide you, and the cultivation of relationships, you are sure to create a career that aligns with your life, values and gives you joy.
Click below for more resources on communicating your value:
Communicating Your Value in the Age of Mindfulness
When Communicating Your Value, Less is More
How Are You Communicating Your Value?
For those interested in building their coaching skills for certification, leadership strength, or growing your coaching business, I offer mentor coaching focused on building brand, business and coaching skills.